Ahimsa Jewelry are handcrafted and exclusively designed with love. As with all things precious, you should take care to protect your jewelry and keep it in a special place when you don’t wear it. Be careful not to drop or scratch your jewelry. Gold Vermeil is a layer of 22kt Gold over Sterling Silver and these precious metals as well as gemstones like to be treated with care.
To help keep your jewelry beautiful, please remove it before showering, gardening, sports, cleaning and entering pools/oceans/spas. Cleaning products, high levels of humidity, cosmetic products and chlorine can harm the finish of your jewelry and result in alterations of color.
When you are not wearing your Ahimsa Jewelry it should be stored in an airtight plastic bag that comes with each purchase of the jewelry. This will prevent tarnishing and scratching.
Sterling Silver is a mixture of pure silver with another metal, usually copper. The resulting alloy gives the silver strength. The standard is at least 92.5% silver. Gold Vermeil is sterling silver that has been gold-plated. Our gold vermeil is plated with 22 karat gold. This is an effective combination for those with an allergy to normal plated jewelry items (which have a base of low quality metal). In vermeil, the base is high quality sterling silver.
Silver jewelry naturally darkens over time. A simple way to clean your silver jewelry is as follows:
1. Heat a cup of water for a few minutes (don’t boil, just warm up the water)
2. Cover the bottom of a small bowl with aluminum foil.
3. Pour hot water into bowl. Place 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon baking soda, and 1 tablespoon dish detergent into bowl.
4. Place your jewelry on top of foil and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Rinse your jewelry in cool water and dry it completely with soft cloth. Discard solution after use and make a new batch next time.
Some of our most popular designs are designed with a matte finish which means that we go over the piece with a particular kind of sandpaper before we gold-dip it. Obviously if you polish your jewelry this finish will be reversed, undoing the matte look. So if you love the matte, don’t rub your jewelry when cleaning.
Unfortunately, gold plated jewelry cannot be cleaned, and it is natural for the gold plating to fade over time.